Aubergine Parmigiana Pasta


My very own Aubergine Parmigiana Pasta

Every Friday, my coworkers (including their family) and I, usually held a sports fest of some sort. We would play tennis, badminton and our newest craze  which is the Frisbee. Some of the girls would walk around the walking path for 5 laps or would run if the weather permits.

After that we will enjoy a potluck meal. Today, Amang, as we fondly call the husband of our colleague at work cooked for us kare-kare, ginataang bilo bilo and a sponge cake. Another co-worker baked for us brownies and another one took charge of cooking rice.

Earlier in the morning, I was thinking of doing another PACHAM (patsamba) that I could bring for our little gathering. The fridge is like a jungle of edible things that doesn't match up for any decent dish. Or so I think. I am not a good cook but there are some dishes that I have perfected cooking but you'll get tired of it if I were your friend and that is what I always prepare for you to eat.

My eyes zeroed in on the large aubergines (or eggplants as we fondly called it) lying in the bottom drawer of the fridge. A light bulb flashes above my head so to speak.

I would like to share with you my own version of Aubergine Parmigiana Pasta--- the way I cooked it today with the ingredients that I only have in my fridge and in my cupboard. 

Earlier on the day I post a picture of it in FB and some friends were asking for the recipe so I decided to make it as a food blog. This version of mine is actually a cross between an Aubergine Parmigiana and a tomato based pasta. So, here it is!

You'll need:

3 large aubergines, thinly sliced
Fusilli pasta (400 grams)
2-3 cans of Peeled Tomato (400 grams)
2 packs of grated Mozzarella cheese (200 grams)
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 can tuna in vegetable oil or the hot & spicy one
Olive oil
Small can of all-purpose cream (optional)
1 bulb of garlic, minced
1 medium sized red onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
Dried or Fresh Basil leaves
2 tsp sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

How To Do It:

Ø  Bring water into a boil. Add 2 tbsp. of cooking oil & a dash of salt. Add on the fusilli (I prefer penne better, but it's what I have on my cupboard). Lessen the cooking time that is written on the packet instruction for at least 4 minutes. You don't want your pasta to be over-cooked after baking it. 
Ø  Place the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkle with a little salt evenly, let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry on a paper towel.
Ø  Pre-heat the oven on 350 F. On a non-stick baking sheet place on the aubergines and brush the top with olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
Ø  Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat 3 tbsp. of olive oil in a pan. Add on the garlic & onion. Slowly add on the red bell pepper, dried basil, mushroom, can of tuna & chopped parsley while stirring occasionally. Add on the canned tomatoes, sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil & let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add on the all-purpose cream while stirring or you can skip it all together.
Ø  Add the fusilli to the sauce and mix evenly.
Ø  Grease a baking pan and pour on the pasta. Sprinkle a generous amount of grated mozzarella cheese. Place on top the aubergines. Sprinkle a generous amount of parmesan cheese and top it with mozzarella cheese.
Ø  Bake it for about 15-20 minutes or until its golden brown or bubbling.

Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts