Running with the Riyadh Road Runners



It's my 9th month here in the kingdom and one of my goals (aside from my nursing job here) is to be able to continue to run races. The first few months I've been here, I searched for running communities or groups here in Riyadh where I could join and be able to continue with my running and lo! I have stumbled upon Riyadh Road Runners through the net.

Riyadh Road Runners is a non-profit club that is made up of both social and competitive runners that was formed 30 years ago. Expatriates in Riyadh that is in search of organized running activities are very much welcome to join. 

The Running season for 2011 kicked off last September and will end on April 2012 (Races are held every 2 weeks). Since the weather here is Dry Cold and Dry Hot, there are no running events organized during the summer season.

I have only been able to join 2 of their races since most of the time I have work, but I've come to enjoy running with the RRR members. And like most runners I've met in the road (in the Philippines, Singapore and here in Riyadh), people here are courteous and would even shout some word of encouragement as you run. And boy! They run like Kenyans too! Most of them are very fast runners and an average runner like me would always find myself behind the pack. Nevertheless, I would enjoy the runs and ends up wanting for more. The next run would be a 10 miler on November 25. I hope I could keep up with them!

For those who are interested to inquire regarding how to join the races of Riyadh Road Runners, e-mail them at:

roadrunners_runnermembers@yahoo.com

Or visit their site at:


Comments

Popular Posts